Social media safety
What are the issues?
- 34% of 12-17 year olds are bullied online (Hinduja & Patchin, 2015). Targets of cyberbullying are at a greater risk than others of both self-harm and suicidal behaviors (John et al., 2018). 20% of bullied teens think about suicide.
- Approximately 18% of youth report self-harming at least once, impacting 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 10 boys(Monto, McRee, & Deryck, 2018).
- About 6% of students have digitally self-harmed, or anonymously posted online or shared hurtful content about oneself (Patchin & Hinduja, 2017).
- Statistics suggest that 50% of young people today have sent or received a nude picture.
- 59% of students are addicted to social media and say they are unhappy.
- 1 in 3 girls is unkind to each other online.
- Teenagers on average are spending up to one quarter of their waking hours on screens.
- 93% of boys and 62% of girls have been exposed to internet porn with 70% of boys having consumed at least 30 consecutive minutes.
Social Media and smartphonesbring many risks. We are living in a rapidly changing world drive by technology. The next generation are going to get hired, build a brand and forge careers using technology and social media. Young people need skills and tools to navigate a technology driven world and to bypass the big 5 dangers of Cyberbullying, oversharing, porn addiction, screen addiction and sexting.
These are the issues tackled in an innovative way in my new programme on Social Media Safety and Screen Addiction called Game On Game Over. My workshops are high energy, interactive, fun and practical. We do lots of role plays and games; and I make it as real as possible where the students learn practical tools to survive and thrive on social media.
What is covered:
- Importance of Social Media, the Power of Positive Online Role Models and and how to create a Positive Digital Reputation that will get you hired in the digital econony.
- Dangers of Social Media including Cyberbullying, Nude Pictures and Online Porn.
- How to deal with Cyberbullying, Exclusion and Anxiety.
- Selfie culture and the importance of Empathy, Kindness and Respect
- How to overcome screen addiction, focus your attention and protect your digital well-being
- Power Principles to good online behaviour.
Length of workshop: 2 hours
Real, relevant and relatable. Students seemed to grasp that their actions online have serious consequences on their self-confidence, peer interactions and future careers.
Work with me
I will help your child improve their grades by making studying
fun and creative.